Summary of the main points of the 2013 Schedule of Contributions
The 2013 Schedule of Contributions proposed by RecycleMédias was published in the Gazette officielle du Québec on April 9, 2014.
The Schedule takes effect April 24, i.e., 15 days following its publication.
The Environment Quality Act provides for a regime to compensate municipalities for the cost of curbside recycling services (Act, Sections 53.31.1 to 53.31.20).*
RecycleMédias is the organization accredited under the Act to collect the inherent contributions (management fees and compensation), interest or penalties (Act, Section 53.31.12).
Per the Regulation Respecting Compensation for Municipal Services, the amount of the annual compensation owed to the municipalities for the year 2013 is $6,460,000 (Regulation, Section 8.9).
Part of that contribution may be paid through a contribution in goods or services, up to a maximum of $3,420,000 (Regulation, Section 8.12).
The 2013 Schedule for the “Newspapers” class of materials
Contribution payable in advertising purchases:
- For 2013, the contribution in advertising purchases payable by a prescribed person (i.e., newspaper owner) corresponds to the quantity of materials that it marketed during 2012 multiplied by the applicable rate, i.e., $26.42 per tonne (Schedule, 5.1.1).
- You will receive a suggested timetable of ad purchases by September 30, 2014. Advertisements for the year 2013 must be published no later than December 31, 2014 (Schedule, 5.3.1).
- Note that if you do not make your advertising purchases, the amount is payable in cash (Schedule, 5.4.1).
Contribution payable in cash:
- For 2013, the cash contribution payable by a prescribed person corresponds to the quantity of materials that it marketed during 2012 multiplied by the applicable rate, i.e., $27.07 per tonne (Schedule, 6.1.1).
- Note that this contribution cannot be converted into advertising purchases.
- The invoice is payable within 90 days of issue (Schedule, 6.2).
- Thereafter, interest is charged (current rate: 6%). If you fail to pay the invoice within 210 days, a penalty of 10% is added (Schedule, 6.3).
- The declaration of tonnage and other materials must be produced no later than 30 days following the effective date of the Schedule of Contributions, i.e., no later than May 24, 2014 (Schedule, 7.2.2).
- If you fail to register and declare your newsprint tonnage, the amounts of your contributions (in advertising purchases and cash) will be set and invoiced for based on an estimate by RecycleMédias (Schedule, 7.6.2).
- April 24, 2014: Effective date of the 2013 Schedule of Contributions
- May 24, 2014: Deadline for filing your declarations for 2012
- June 30, 2014: Deadline for making your advertising purchases for the years 2010, 2011 and 2012
- August 23, 2014: Deadline for paying your cash contribution
- October 30, 2014: Deadline for approval of your calendar of advertising purchases for the year 2013
- December 31, 2014: Deadline for publishing your advertisements for the year 2013
2014 Schedule of Contributions
Upon publication of the 2014 Schedule, you will be notified as soon as possible.
*Numbers in parentheses refer to the section of the Act, Regulation or Schedule from which they are quoted.